Monday, September 17, 2007

Goldfinches



The shots of the goldfinches were taken through the window and screen, giving them a smudgy, kind of artistic look. I didn't plant the black-eyed Susan, they were volunteers, probably coming from my neighbors yard. They were beginning to look ugly after blooming and I had planned to cut them back before the seeds dropped, but the goldfinches really like eating them, so I'll leave them for a while. I just hope I don't have them everywhere next year. I don't mind a few, but they aren't all that attractive, unless of course they have a goldfinch attached.

5 comments:

Shirley said...

Hi there, Robin

Great photos - what beautiful birds your goldfinches are and quie different from ours here in the UK:-)

You can what our goldfinches look like at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Goldfinch or in my garden at http://blog.shirlsgardenwatch.co.uk/2007/06/heating-on.html.

I am really enjoying seeing the birds in your garden. Thanks for sharing their visits :-)

Petunia's Gardener said...

Wow, I've been enjoying your amazing photos! I also have been using that zucchini bread/muffin recipe. Muffins are so easy to grab for breakfast and snacks. Thanks for sharing.

Connie said...

Wonderful photos...especially for haven been taken through the window! Goldfinches are the cutest birds.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Shirl, I checked out your site and posted a comment regarding your finches.

Petunia's gardener, thank you, and I'm glad you're enjoying the muffin recipe. Try it with pumpkins this fall, it is delicious.

Thanks, Connie, I'm very fond of the goldfinches too.

Mary @ Framed and Tagged said...

We have tons of goldfinches...I spotted some on our crape myrtles the other day...they were eating the seeds! I see them quite a bit on old seed heads so I think it's a good idea to leave them.
Your photographs are beautiful!!