Saturday, October 27, 2007

Comment Problems

I've had my blog since April and have never really had any problems with comments on it, but over the last couple of days I've been getting a lot of junk comments on older posts. The comments are coming from things like discount pharmacies and one tonight came from something about Britney Spears. I've deleted all of them and don't really know what to do to prevent them from being posted. I really don't want to moderate post before allowing them and I like to keep things as simple as possible for those who comment. If I have the word verification will this eliminate the problem?

Is anyone else having this problem? What can I do to prevent it from happening on my blog? Could someone please advise me?

Thanks,
Robin

4 comments:

Carol Michel said...

I use word verification and only occasionally have a problem with junk comments. There was one the other day that went on for pages and pages, which I deleted as soon as I found out about it. Perhaps you should try the word verication to see if that slows or stops the junk?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've had this problem for quite a while. I put a word verification on my site last summer, but for some odd reason it prevented a number of legitimate (and regular) commenters from being able to post a comment--not good! So I took it down.

Now I'm getting about 200 spam comments a day. I do moderate new commenters, so the spam comments don't actually get "face time" on my blog, but I have to take the trouble to ID them as spam. It's a pain.

I'm probably going to put some sort of spam filter on again soon. I emailed Cold Climate Kathy for her advice, since she's writing a blog about blogging. You might see what she has to say about it. Good luck!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Carol, thank you for your suggestion. If this continues I think I will enable the word verification. Most blogs have them but I dislike it since most of the time I have to post my comment twice on other blogs to get them accepted.

Pam, are you serious? 200 spam comments a day? That is awful! I guess I should be glad that I've only had a few.

I wish I could at least eliminate new comments on old posts but I don't see how to do that. Is that possible?

Sylvana said...

I don't have word verification on my blog (because I hate it - I hav elimited time to visit blogs and I RARELY get the darn verification thingy to accept my entry the first or even second time - most of the time I just don't even bother to comment) and I don't use moderation either. There was a period of time that I was getting quite a few spam comments, but I diligently removed them and over the course of a month, they pretty much stopped.