Thursday, November 29, 2007

Ducks, Geese and Environmental Rant

Geese-on-pond-2

I've passed this pond several times recently and have been surprised at the number of ducks and geese here. I passed by again on Tuesday and decided to run back home to get my camera. It was a dreary rainy day so the pictures were a little dark.

Around here we have retention ponds everywhere, for the purpose of collecting stormwater runoff. While watching the geese and ducks, I couldn't help but wonder how many of the homeowners who live around this pond have used chemicals on their grass or plants. It honestly took away some of the pleasure of watching the ducks and geese, thinking about what all could be in that water.

I often think about the pond closest to me every summer when I see my neighbor spraying all of his trees and shrubs for the Japanese beetles and walking around with a spray bottle of round-up to kill his weeds. The storm drain is at the corner of his yard.

Geese-on-pond-4

When we first moved here we had hundreds of little frogs coming from the ponds. I used to always see them hopping across the sidewalk while taking my evening walks and I had to carefully watch my steps, but I haven't seen a single one in two or three years now. I wonder sometimes if the runoff from the chemically manicured lawns have killed them.

I don't consider myself to be an "Environmentalist", but I do care about some environmental issues and I care about the health and safety of people and animals. I am also concerned about water quality issues and I believe that some of the chemicals used outside eventually end up in our water supply. I do wish people would think very carefully and consider the potential consequences before using toxins, especially those who live by water sources.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Wonderful pictures!! I enjoyed to see and read this post!

Katie said...

I'm glad that you bring up the water quality issue, especially because the frogs are a warning sign that the water isn't the highest quality...

We have a marsh near our house and when walking our dog one day, came upon a group of children harassing a Canadian goose. One was about to lay his jacket over it! My husband scolded the kids and scared them away...

Makes me wonder what's wrong with people nowadays?

Anonymous said...

It isn't just the runoff from lawns that you have to worry about, think of what comes off of the pavement that ends up in the pond. It's amazing that anything can live in these ponds.

Connie said...

Well said. The geese are beautiful!

Mary said...

Thanks for visiting me!

I agree with you. We also have several retention ponds where the community association hires lawn companies to maintain the area with chemicals. I see numerous Canadian Geese but not much else alive... It's sad. I wish the Geese would relocate to a natural pond next to a grocery store near me. Yes! A grocery store and small strip mall.

By the way, I think your photos are great!

Mary said...

Robin,

I enjoyed your hummingbird photos and posts so much!

Regarding the territorial nature of them, yes, I saw aggressive behavior this summer but every bird had it's share of nectar from the feeders and flowers. I have two feeders. One afternoon I had a male sit on the top of one of the feeders and defend for four straight hours. His stamina wore me out :o) I had 12-15 hummers at a time, all of the time. They are very sweet but can be little warriors at times. Keep your feeders.

Mary

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Great pics Robin, as usual. ;-) And well said too, we do have to very careful with what we use in the garden. I garden organically and have done from the start as it made sense to me to do so. Like you, I care about our planet.