Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring in Alabama



It had been several years since I had been in Alabama during the spring. Azaleas don't do well in Indiana and that is one of the things that I miss about spring in Indiana. My former Alabama neighborhood had gorgeous mature azaleas and it was a spectacular sight to see each spring. There are certain sights and smells that cause us to think of home and become homesick, azaleas in the spring is one of those things that make me long for my "sweet home Alabama".

I thought for sure the azaleas would be past their peak by the time I arrived, but thankfully they weren't. They were absolutely stunning and I thoroughly enjoyed each glimpse and gaze.

The redbuds trees were in bloom along the interstate in Kentucky and Tennessee, it made the long and tiring drive more enjoyable. It was nice to drive from Indiana right into spring!

I would have preferred not to be away from my husband and children on Easter, but it was nice to spend Easter with my mom, dad and extended family. They had 17 of their children and grandchildren in church with them Sunday morning.

My dad continues to do well as he recuperates from his surgery. He is now up and walking a bit. Extreme shortness of breath is the most troublesome thing for him at this point, but that should improve with time. Thank you again for your comments, thoughts and prayers for my family during this time. He is by no means out of the woods, but for the moment he is doing well and we give thanks for that.

13 comments:

Frances said...

Hi Robin, my best wishes for your father, may he recover fully. How happy you must have been to see your beloved azaleas. I know what you mean about longing for certain plants. When I moved to PA there were so many things that would not grow there that were important to me in Oklahoma. TN is very similar to that climate and even will grow more wonderful plants. Having all the family in church must have been a great source of pride for your parents. How wonderful!

Gail said...

Robin, Hey there! I am so glad your dad is doing better. I know that helps when you have to be away.
Ah, I can see the interstate now...The redbuds were nice this year!...I am glad you saw your azaleas and the redbuds on your way to an Indiana springtime. Take care, gail

Pam/Digging said...

Your Easter photo montage is gorgeous, Robin. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery to your father. Take care.

Jim Steele said...

My father moved from Los Angeles to Pennsylvania two years ago and I miss him every day. I hope your dad takes it slow and is with us for a long time. Funny thing, my dad just bought a propane string trimmer from LEHR. I went to their site at www.golehr.com and it looks pretty good. I wonder if anyone else out there has one.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your Dad is doing better Robin. Beautiful spring collage!

Kathleen said...

Hi Robin. Glad you're back although I'm sure your family is even happier! Also good news about your dad. I hope he can beat the odds too. It sure sounds like he has an amazing attitude and sometimes that really is what counts. Looks like it was really beautiful in your home state. I miss azaleas too ~ we had them growing up in Maryland but they don't do well in Colorado either. Take care and thanks for the update.

Re's Aussie Garden said...

Hi Robin, thank you for the gorgeous photos. So happy to hear your Dad is improving. My dad is 80 now and although he was diagnosed with cancer more than five years ago, his last test showed him cancer free. At the time the oncologist gave us no hope. We told that doctor that with God's help there is always hope! God bless you all and keep you strong!
Maree.

Unknown said...

Hope your Dad continues to improve! Beautiful collage!!

Sherri said...

Hi Robin, I continue to pray for your Daddy every day! I also pray for you and your family going through this difficult time. Those Spring pics of yours are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

kate smudges said...

Gorgeous glimpses of springtime, Robin. Beautiful photos of these spring beauties. Your family must have enjoyed having you with them at Easter.

Juliet said...

I'm glad to hear your Dad is recovering so well, Robin, and I hope he continues to do so. It sounds as though he has just the right attitude to the illness, and I'm sure that's helping. I'll continue to pray for him, and for you too.

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Such a beautiful collage. Love the picture of your dad & little one. Adds so much to your other photos. Aren't azaleas beautiful?~~Dee

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

Wonderful to hear your father's surgery went well and that he is recuperating, Robin. As well, I'm pleased that you could experience spring in Alabama once again, despite the circumstances. You and your family remain faithfully in my prayers.